The history of oil and gas industry in Poland

1854

IT ALL BEGAN IN POLAND

Crude oil and natural gas, first known as crude gas, were extracted in Poland already in 1854 in the world’s first crude oil mine set up in Bóbrka near Krosno by Ignacy Łukasiewicz. This moment marks the birth of world’s oil and gas industry. In the same year, the first oil street lamp was lit in Gorlice.

1856

BEGINNING OF THE INDUSTRY

The first crude oil distillery in Poland was set up in Ulaszowice near Jasło. In the same year, the first oil company Łukasiewicz-Klobasa-Trzecieski was established, with its seat in Polanka.

1896

PŁONIEŃ, THE FIRST TRAINING OF THE TECHNICAL STAFF

The natural gas was used for the first time in Poland in 1896 to power the boiler house by the crude oil mine in Sochodnica. Prof. Leon Syroczyński began to give lectures on the crude oil mining in the technical school in Lviv.

1912

THE FIRST GAS PIPELINE

The first gas pipeline, used for transporting natural gas from deposits to the Europe’s first gas plant and crude oil refinery in Borysław, was built in 1912 and was 12 km long.

1928

NATURAL GAS FOR CITIES

The delivery of natural gas to the cities in the vicinity of deposits began in the 1920s. In 1928 in Lviv, one of the biggest Polish towns, the municipal power plant and distribution network were powered with natural gas.

1933

NATURAL GAS FOR THE INDUSTRY

In 1933 natural gas was used for the first time in Poland as a chemical material in ammonia synthesis in the National Nitric Compound Factory in Tarnów. In order to power the industrial plants of the Central Industrial Region, the construction of the gas pipelines began at the end of the 1930s.

1961-1965

THE BEGINNING OF ACTIVITY IN WESTERN POLAND

In 1961-1965, the first crude oil deposits were found in the Polish Plain, which initiated the exploratory and exploitation activities in western Poland.

1968-1990

NATURAL GAS IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY

The years 1968-1990 constituted a period of rapid expansion of Polish natural gas industrial networks, and of gas-supply service for cites, industry and households. The classic gasworks were being liquidated and current consumers had to switch to natural gas. The last municipal coal gaswork in Poland was shut down in 1997 in Międzylesie.

1982

THE FOUNDING OF PGNiG

The state-owned Polish Oil and Gas Company was established September 1st 1982. Multi-plant in its structure, it consisted of 61 industrial plants. The activities of the company included exploration and exploitation of crude oil and natural gas deposits, as well as the supply of said materials to people and industry.

1996

PGNiG AS JOINT STOCK COMPANY

On October 30th 1996, the state-owned Polish Oil and Gas Company was transformed into a joint stock company with 100% share of the State Treasury. Its structures included gas plants of six gas industry districts, crude oil exploration and exploitation plants and service plants.

2004

SECTIONING THE TRANSMISSION

In 2004 transmission was sectioned off by creating PGNiG-Przesył (currently OGP-Gaz System) which administers the transmission network and carries out technical activity.

2005

GOING PUBLIC

On 23. September 2005 PGNiG SA made its debut on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. Stocks of the company are quoted on the Warsaw Stock Exchange Index (WIG20) - index of twenty biggest Polish companies.

2007

SECTIONING THE DISTRIBUTION

On July 1st 2004, under a EU Directive and the Power Energy Law, which impose a legal obligation of dividing the gas distribution from commercial activities and sectioning operators of the distribution system, 6 Distribution System Operators came into existence (currently Polska Spółka Gazownictwa)

2009

PGNiG IN ELITE CIRCLE

In November 2009, PGNiG SA found itself in an elite circle of companies quoted as part of RESPECT Index at Warsaw Stock Exchange, a stock index of socially responsible companies. 

2014

ENTERING COMPETITIVE MARKET

On August 1st 2014 the company PGNiG Obrót Detaliczny began its operational activity. Founding of the company was dictated by legal factors and by necessity to prepare for the upcoming full liberalization of the gas market in Poland. The whole retail sales department in the scope of natural gas and electric energy was transferred to the new company.